Saturday, December 3, 2011

Playing Star Wars: The Old Republic with a Controller

Hi, everybody!  I've created this blog specifically as an instructional guide to setting up and playing Star Wars: The Old Republic with a video game controller.  This blog is a compilation of information and suggestions provided by myself and other players in a thread I created on the SWTOR forums.

Since people like to waste a lot of time arguing the merits of using a controller in a MMO, I have disabled comments.  If you have any constructive input or questions, go to the thread linked above.  I say constructive because the moderators have been very good at weeding out the griefers.

During beta testing, several of us discovered that SWTOR is very playable with a video game controller.  But since the configuration process is sometimes confusing and frustrating, we decided to provide instructions.  As the thread has grown, several people have come up with a lot of good alternate setups, so I felt the need to create this blog so I can better organize the instructions beyond the classic "wall o' text" interface.  A big shoutout goes to Khalirei on the SWTOR forums, who first showed me how to do this.

My setup:
I play SWTOR using a Playstation 3 controller/keypad combo:

I find this the ideal setup for me, as it allows me to do pretty much everything straight from my controller (chat being the biggest limitation...you just can't type fast on a keypad), and the Bluetooth tech built into both the chatpad and controller allow me to play completely wirelessly.  However, I still keep my keyboard and mouse in front of me because there are times when those are more convenient.
http://www.newtechtips.org/wp-content/uploads/2011/07/sony-wireless-keypad.jpg
That's hot.

Anyway, I'm going to start by migrating instructions from the thread when I have the time.  Happy gaming!

No comments:

Post a Comment